Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Pumpkin Take-Over Continues: Pumpkin Pancakes for One

Drizzle of honey makes them perfect for a sunny fall day

I'm apologizing in advance. I know my SMG professor would knock off major points for starting a discussion with an apology, but I felt the need to do it. I am going to be talking about another pumpkin recipe. I know. I promise I do eat more than just pumpkin, which you'll see the other 11 months of the year, but bare with me one more week, that's all I'm asking.

Aren't these so festive?! My roommate made them for a bakesale -- I was the designated sprinkler. I didn't get to try them, but they completely sold out so I'm guessing they were good.


Before going any further, I have to mention my weekend. I went with two friends and saw Boy & Bear at the Great Scott. This venue is awesome! So small and intimate, it felt like I was seeing a group of friends performing rather than going to a "show." Although we got there a bit late, the songs we were there for were incredible. The lead singer's voice had such warmth and depth, that when combined with folk instruments like a banjo and acoustic guitar, I couldn't help but feel goofy with happiness and comfort. Please download some of their stuff!


Okay, on to the food! My Monday was beyond insane. No classes, yet I left the apartment at 8:45am and didn't get home until 8:45pm -- exactly 12 hours later (okay I had a 30min break where I came home to make lunch, so not a true 12 hours). Although my feet killed and all I wanted was my Victoria's Secret Boyfriend sweatpants, I was in a stupidly good mood all day. Everything just seemed so wonderful. I was that annoying person walking around with my iPod, smiling and tapping my hand to the beat of the music.


During the 30 minutes between the gym and physical therapy, I was able to come home and make a quick lunch (more like lunch part 1, with part 2 three hours later). Because it was 11:30, I wasn't in the mood for "real" food, but I had already had my puffins and peanut butter breakfast earlier in the morning. Sifting through the fridge I realized I still had a container with canned pumpkin in it. Knowing I wanted something pumpkin-tasting but not entirely sure what that something was, I checked up on my usual blogs, one of which being Chocolate Covered Katie. Katie specializes in healthier desserts. How could you not love a blog that promotes both chocolate any time of the day and sneaking in vitamins, minerals, and protein? After reading her post, I clicked on her Recipe Page mainly out of habit. Well, I like to think the food gods guided my clicking because in front of me was a picture of her Banana Pancakes for One. As much as I love my oatmeal and cereal, I adore pancakes. And pancakes for early lunch? Perfection. I altered her recipe by subbing in pumpkin for the banana, but I'm excited to try the banana ones soon!

Besides now having a single-serving pancake recipe that fills me up in my mental recipe list, I also gained the most wonderful knowledge: honey and pumpkin are meant for each other. Seriously. Have some pumpkin bread? Put honey on it.
P.S. The recipe itself if vegan, just swap agave for the honey and you're all set!

Pumpkin Pancakes for One
Adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie's Recipe

Ingredients:
1/3 cup flour (I used all purpose, but I'm planing on trying oat flour, I'll let you know how it goes)
1/2 tsp baking powder
Dash of salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup almond milk (or any milk you prefer)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree

Mix the dry ingredients together. I like to do this in a large measuring bowl to save on dishes.

In a separate bowl, combine the three liquid ingredients. Once combined, add in the dry mix to the liquid mixture. Stir to get rid of any flour lumps that may remain.
Heat a skillet and make your pancakes!




Make your day better and make these pancakes! And don't forget to finish them off with a drizzle of honey!

I also made mini pumpkin loaves, but for some reason the middles exploded ALL over my oven


Half-way to Halloween weekend!!

--Kelli

0 comments:

Post a Comment