Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Pumpkin for Breakfast



 I wanted to tackle my roommate when she came in with this bag of candy corn from CVS (on sale for 89 cents!). When I was really little I hated candy corn with a passion. Give me anything Reeses or a Twix bar and I was one happy trick-or-treater, but I dreaded those yellow, orange, and white striped candies. Then one year my mom bought a bag of pumpkin caramel corn -- they're shaped like pumpkins, they aren't pumpkin flavored like one of my friends who shall remain nameless thought -- and was in love. I couldn't stop popping them in my mouth. I'm still not a huge fan of candy corn, but I love the pumpkin candies. I don't know why, but I promise you they taste different.

We put the candy corn next to our bowl of Dum Dums -- also on sale at CVS, too good to pass up
I think my taste buds are just weird when it comes to pumpkin. My strange tastes don't only apply to the candy pumpkin impostors but to the squash itself. I hate pumpkin pie. There. I said it. In all honesty, there are very few pies I like, but everyone seems to be most upset with me not liking the Thanksgiving staple. Again, I can't tell you why, I'm just not a fan. BUT (time for the contradiction) I LOVE pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin spice lattes, pumpkin ravioli, basically "pumpkin" anything except pumpkin pie.

My favorite meal of the day is by far breakfast. All my favorite foods can be enjoyed in the morning, plus I get to sit and watch How I Met Your Mother and The Office while I eat. However,  I'm a creature of habit and tend to eat the same breakfast each day. To spice things up, I've been adding canned pumpkin to some of my favorite breakfast items. In addition to providing a wonderful fall taste, the pumpkin also contributes an awesome nutritional boost:

1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin provides: 
  • 44 calories with 0 fat
  • 4g fiber
  • 4g natural sugar
  • 280% of your daily Vit A 
  • It's also a good source of calcium, potassium, iron, and Vit E


Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal
In my Rice Crispe Bowl!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup Scottish oats
1/4 cup Rolled oats
1 1/4 cup water
2 giant spoon fulls of canned pumpkin
Dash of cinnamon and nutmeg
Splash of vanilla extract

Place oats and water in pot and bring to a boil
Once boiling, reduce to low, put pumpkin and spices in, and place lid over pot. Let sit for 3-5 minutes.
Stir oats and check to see if they are at the right consistency for you -- I like mine very thick, so you may need to add water
Remove from heat and pour into favorite breakfast bowl

I often like to place a couple dots of peanut butter in the bowl and then pour the oatmeal over the peanut butter to melt it.


MUCH Better than Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte

 The players: Coffee Press, ground coffee, canned pumpkin, original almond milk, cinnamon, nutmeg (not pictured), and vanilla extract
 What you do:
Prepare coffee. While coffee is brewing, place 1/2 cup almond milk, 1 heaping tablespoon pumpkin, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg in a pot. Place over medium-low heat and gently stir until hot -- do not let boil! Once hot, remove from stove. Pour 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Whisk the mixture until it becomes frothy. Pour coffee into mug then pour in the pumpkin mix.
 PLEASE PLEASE try making this! I would imagine it would taste phenomenal with vanilla almond milk -- anyone tried it? If you use regular skim milk, you may need to add some brown sugar for sweetness. Oh! And keep the spoon handy and stir periodically while drinking. I didn't and some of the spices clumped together at the bottom making for a weird last couple sips.

Half way through the week! I'm especially excited because that means I'm that much closer to seeing Boy & Bear on Saturday night! Be sure to check out their stuff on YouTube


--Kelli

0 comments:

Post a Comment