Saturday, October 8, 2011

5 years, 3 albums later.

Death Cab for Cutie was my first "favorite band". I first heard their song "Soul Meets Body" my freshman year of high school and wondered why I hadn't heard them before. I immediately fell in love. Luckily, they were touring with Franz Ferdinand, who I also loved, the following spring. My mom (also a big Franz fan) and I always go to concerts together, and we couldn't miss this. So in April 2006 I saw Death Cab For Cutie in concert for the first time and it was magical. That sounds like such a weird adjective to use, but it really was magical. Everything about it...their talent really shines through in person..Ben's beautiful voice, Nick's killer bass lines, Chris's ability to switch from guitar to back up vocals to everything else, and Jason's awesome drum beats. From that moment on I knew they were my favorite band.

Next time they went on tour I was super excited. I saw them again at the Boston Opera House in November 2008. Then they put out a new album "Narrow Stairs" and I knew that they would be touring again. Oh yes. I saw them at Agganis Arena in October 2009, and was lucky enough to sit in the 5th row! Words cannot even describe how amazing that was. Then things calmed down for a while, but when I heard they were putting out another new album, "Codes and Keys" I knew that meant another tour. This past summer, Death Cab for Cutie announced that they were coming to Boston...twice. Wait..what? Is this real life? I get to see them twice? DCfC played a show at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston, on June 5, 2011 then again at the Bank of America Pavilion on August 1, 2011. I could not have been happier.

A few of my friends were going to come to the show at the Paradise with me but no one could get tickets because it sold out so quickly..which meant I was going by myself. While I've always been a concert-goer I've never gone by myself. I was nervous but so excited that it didn't matter. It was seriously the best show I've been to. Absolutely incredible. And the door-man at the Paradise marked my hands with smily faces instead of x's (for being under 21)


Then I saw them on August 1 at the gorgeous Bank of America pavilion with my mom. Who snuck us into the third row for the encore by lying to the security guards and telling them it was my birthday. Have I mentioned that my mom rocks? Singing along with every song, dancing like crazy, and crying during the show..yup that was a good night.

I just found this and it's definitely going to be my jam for this weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment