Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fried Rice: More Healthy and Quick than Authentic

Looks like fall is here for another week!

I'm wearing shorts. And it's November. Remember how excited I was that it was snowing two weekends ago? Well I'm almost just as happy to not have to wear jeans right now. As much as I love snow, I hate wearing long pants. Shorts and dresses are just so much more comfortable to be in -- but then again I'm probably one of the few people who prefers to sit cross-legged even on chairs. In addition to the weather being gorgeous, my week has been awesome due to the go-ahead from my physical therapist to start doing walk-jog intervals! I did my first one yesterday and I was in 100% pure bliss. Running past Fenway, along the fens, then down a street I never knew existed, nothing was in my head other than "I'm so happy. Man, this is awesome" repeating over and over again. Unfortunately, on my second jogging interval my knee flared up and I had to stop (may be possibly due to I only did a 1min walking interval instead of the full 5 minutes like I was supposed to. . .). None the less it felt just so refreshing to be out running again. The eliptical is fine, but nothing beats just running without a preplanned route. It keeps me excited energies to pick a random street to go down and explore. I'm going to try again Friday (since tomorrow is supposed to be gross) so hopefully it goes even better!
At my first 10-K this summer. I definitely recommend the Wharf-to-Wharf for a first race!

Recently I've been STARVING at lunch, but with only an hour break I haven't broken out any official recipes. The next couple of weeks are pretty calm for me, so I promise to start getting more interesting stuff up on here, but for now I want to show you a not-so-pretty-yet-indcredibly-filling-healthier version of fried rice that I've been making.

There's no real "ingredient" list, basically as long as you have rice or quinoa and 3 eggs (1 whole egg and 2 egg whites), you can use whatever veggies you ahve in your frdige or freezer.

What I did:

1. In a skillet sautee green pepper slices, garlic, and frozen corn and brocolli with 1 Tbsp of oilve oil. Once the vegetables are tender, add in 1/2 cup (or as much as you're hungry for) of left-over brown rice, tomatoes, and spinach. I added a couple tablespoons of water to soften the rice a bit.
2. Turn the heat down to medium. Make a well in the middle of the rice mixture. Pour 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg into the well. Let cook until the whites start to set then stir it all together. Continue to cook until the yolk is cooked through.
3. Place into your favorite bowl. I added hot sauce to mine, but I'm sure reduced sodium soy sauce would also be really good!

I know the picture is a little scarey, but trust me it's very tasty and gives you a quick protein boost to get you through your last few classes or last half of your work day.



In community nutrition today we learned about various lesson plan ideas for teaching nutrition to school children. Aren't these mice adorable?!

Have a great day -- you're halfway through the week!!

--Kelli

0 comments:

Post a Comment