Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Back to Cranberry's Roots

When I was home for Thanksgiving I realized something..I had never had home made cranberry sauce. At our table had always been the wiggly can-shaped stuff. I voice this concern to my dad, who came home from grocery shopping the next day with two bags of fresh cranberries and told me to "go for it". When I realized I didn't have a recipe I set to work, and a quick google search yielded this result.
The infamous turkey plates

I modified my version slightly. Upon tasting, the sauce was way too tart from the cranberries and orange juice so I added a bit of extra sugar, but I suppose this could be remedied by using all water or putting in extra sugar or honey in the first place. It's all up to personal preference though!

I forgot to snag some picture of the actual sauce but I almost didn't have a chance..there wasn't any left after dinner! My parents told me that I "won" Thanksgiving because my dish did the best. Let's hope I can continue this win streak at Christmas!

Here's my modified recipe!

Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp minced orange zest
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 12 oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • Sugar to taste

Directions:
  1. Bring orange juice, ginger, zest and cinnamon to a boil on high heat in a medium saucepan.
  2. Rinse cranberries and add once liquid is boiling. Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes.
  3. Add crushed pineapple and honey. Remove from heat and cool.

0 comments:

Post a Comment