Monday, September 26, 2011

Sticky Words

As a society, we are OBSESSED with pictures. Think about it. The best part of Facebook? Sharing *stalking* yours and other people's pictures. How do you get someone to pick up your magazine? Have an awesome picture on the front. Movies and TV. Although not "pictures" they are still images. We love things we can see. First impressions are even based on looks first. With so much emphasis on appearance, it's no wonder that people are overly body conscious.

Check out their website for more information on Weight Stigma and how you can participate


This week is Weight Stigma Awareness Week. Weight stigma is the judgment of a person based solely on their body size. Body image and disordered eating are topics that I have very strong feelings about and a very personal relationship with. I'll maybe share my story on here in later posts, but for now head on over to my post about Weight Stigma Awareness Week on the Sargent Choice Nutrition Center Blog. Also check out THIS post on body image. Although the event itself was last spring, there are some quotes on there that are always relevant.



'I refuse to become part of this perfect-body syndrome. I like my body. It looks good on-screen, and it's not because it's perfect. I accept it and wear it like a good dress... One guy I dated said: "You're beautiful, but you're soft. You can't compete with other actresses in Hollywood because everyone's in shape and working out." I said: "Very nice to meet you. Good-bye!"' -- Salma Hayek

--Kelli

0 comments:

Post a Comment