Friday, January 27, 2012

Oats in a Jar: Brain Fuel

Before moving to Boston, my head was filled with romantic ideas that I'd wake up every Saturday, get dressed in a cute peacoat, scarf, skinny jeans, and boots, and walk to a nearby local coffee shop where there was only other, well-dressed or hipster-looking college students and the coffees were served in mugs. After three years I can safely say there is nothing magical about studying on a Saturday morning, unless you count actually being awake and doing something productive Saturday morning magical (I do).

I have, however, found a coffee shop that fits my "perfect" coffee shop completely: espresso royal. The coffee is delicious, the people working there have a hipster vibe to them, the music is usually indie rock, and they serve you coffee in mugs. When I do get my butt out of bed to study, I almost always go to Espresso and order one of their honey cinnamon soy lattes -- pure bliss in a cup! I also make sure to pack breakfast; my favorite: oats in a jar. 
Inspired by MANY food bloggers out there, here's my version of oats in a jar: 
What you need: 
1/2 cup uncooked oats (right now I'm all about the Scottish oats) 
1 cup water
Cinnamon
Splash vanilla extract
1/2 banana sliced
Nearly empty jar of peanut butter (I used Trader Joe's unsalted creamy) 

What to do: 
  1. Prepare oats based on how you like them and what kind you're using 
  2. Place cooked oats in jar. Then add the cinnamon, vanilla extract, and banana slices. Stir vigerously, or do what I do and screw on the lid then shake the jar. 
  3. Close jar, pack, and head out the door. The heat from the oatmeal will warm up the bananas, giving them an almost caramelized taste.
-Kelli

1 comment:

  1. The honey cinnamon lattes at Espresso are SO good!!! They definitely make studying more bearable!

    ReplyDelete